1 cup ChaoKoh unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup granulated sugar
4 pandan leaves
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
Pinch of kosher salt
8 poached Handsome Brook Farm eggs
Dark Soy Sauce
Brioche, sliced ¼-inch thick, toasted on one side. Jam on the toasted side…then butter on the jam, then toast with outsides with butter in a pan. Cut on bias.
1. Whisk together the coconut milk and 1 cup of the sugar in a medium saucepan.
2. Tie the pandan leaves together and add to the pot, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 20 minutes. Remove the pandan leaves and squeeze out all of the liquid from them into the pot.
4. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and a few cups of cold water. Nestle a medium stainless-steel bowl into the ice.
5. Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over high heat.
6. Whisk together the eggs, salt, and the remaining 1 cup of sugar in a medium stainless-steel bowl (that will fit over the pot with the boiling water) until smooth.
7. Whisk in the milk mixture and place the bowl on top of the pot with the simmering water.
8. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture becomes very thick, removing it from the heat every now and then so that the custard does not get too hot (this will cause it to curdle). This can take anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes (maybe longer) depending on how hot the water becomes.
9. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl set inside the ice bath and stir until the mixture cools slightly, about 10 minutes.
10. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
11. Slather each slice of toast with several tablespoons of the kaya jam. Serve with 2 poached eggs on side, drizzled with dark soy sauce and sprinkled with white pepper.
What Does Pasture Raised Really Mean? Find Out Here
Serving Brunch? Try This Delicious Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
There's always something fresh coming from our farms. Sign up today to get the latest news and special offers delivered directly to you.